Nov 26, 2014

My ears are open...

I'm quite enjoying writing blog posts at the moment so here's another.

This year I have listened to more new music than the last 4-5 years put together and I have really enjoyed it.

There are a number of reasons for this:

  • I now spend 4 hrs a day on a train and music is a good way to pass the time.
  • I decided to get a spotify premium account, as much as I would like to buy new music, I simply cannot afford it so a subscription service suits me well.
  • I have spent less time working on my own music.

The last point is probably the most important and I wanted to explain that in a bit more detail.

Over the last 5 years I have not had a break from working on Amongst the Pigeons tracks.  I'd be working on new ideas for a release, from initial creation to mixing and then promoting it, this is pretty much all I did.

This meant that a lot of the time I was listening to my tracks during the process.  I would spend hours, days, weeks and even months listening to nothing but ATP music.  I did not have time to hear new music and a lot of great acts passed me by.

This year I knew I would be spending a little less time on my own stuff and it's radically opened by ears to the wealth of music out there.  In turn this has made me want to experiment with my own music more and see where things end up.

For the first time in ages I will be able to join in the usual 'end of year / albums of .. ' lists that everyone else seems to make.  And you know what, I am really looking forward to it.

I'm sure at somepoint in the future I will become lost in listening to my own music again, but for now it will only happen when I am in the studio and outside of that, the world is my musical oyster.

No comments: